Some people find it extremely difficult to wear contacts and glasses. Another common problem associated with wearing glasses and lenses is that they have negative effects on a person’s mind. Patients often look for a permanent solution as far as regaining normal vision is concerned. But ‘which procedure is the most effective one’ can be a tad bit challenging. So, continue reading so that you get a deeper understanding of laser eye surgery and the various types available in Delhi.
What is Laser eye surgery?
The surgical procedure to treat various types of eye problems that can affect normal vision with the help of a laser beam is known as laser eye surgery. You might know that not every patient suffering from an eye condition is suitable for laser eye surgery. Although this is the most advanced treatment option available for treating eye problems, these also incur some side effects. Fortunately, these side effects heal much faster as compared to other options.
In general, during laser eye surgery, the doctor makes several incisions on the cornea surface to make a fine flap. After this, the doctor lifts up the flap and uses a laser to reshape the cornea so that the light waves focus on the retina. The surgery can cure the following vision conditions-
- Nearsightedness or Myopia
- Farsightedness or Hyperopia
What are the Different Types of Laser Eye Surgeries in India?
The medical field has developed, in terms of technology, by leaps and bounds. Therefore, this may not come as a surprise when we say that these advancements have also made its way into the technology used for curing several eye problems. The following techniques are now available.
The United States Food and Drugs Administration (USFDA) gave its approval to perform the first LASIK surgery in 1991. Laser in-situ keratomileusis or LASIK surgery is one of the most common procedures that people choose to undergo in the Indian health care scenario. The main objective of the surgery is to reshape the corneal tissue so that the light waves can get focussed.
A good candidate for LASIK is an individual who has sufficient corneal thickness as the doctor to make a flap in order to get access to the inside of the eye. LASIK eye surgery guarantees the quickest recovery and the patients don’t feel any pain during the entire procedure. The results are immediate and the side effects last only for a couple of days. LASIK surgery treats myopia, astigmatism, hyperopia, and presbyopia.
Photo Refractive Keratectomy or PRK is a technique that cures myopia as well as astigmatism. Unfortunately, people suffering from acute hyperopia should not consider this option. Originally, this was the actual laser eye technique available to correct vision problems. The working of this technique is similar to those of the LASIK procedure. As this is an older procedure, the patient takes around 4-5 days to recover completely from the procedure.
SMILE stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction. This is the most advanced vision correction procedure present to date. This is a step laser procedure which is what makes it different from other eye surgeries. The step of using another laser to reshape the cornea is missing in this procedure. This is a much less invasive procedure than PRK and LASIK. The USFDA has not given its approval to use this technique to treat nearsightedness which means myopic patients can undergo this procedure.
Laser-Assisted Sub-Epithelial Keratomileusis or LASEK procedure is similar to LASIK and PRK. The only difference between those two procedures and this one is that the ultra-thin flap made during this procedure remains attached to the eye even after the procedure is completed. There are some downsides to this technique which include discomfort during the recovery and a longer period for recovery. Also, this technique is not approved by the USFDA.
The epi-Lasik is another form of PRK procedure. During this procedure, the doctor separates the corneal layer with a special instrument known as an epithelial separator. This technique was much more common in the early 2000s. People have to wait at least three or six months after the surgery to experience the final results. Similar to the LASEK procedure, this procedure is also not approved by the USFDA.
How to Choose the Best Laser Eye Surgery in Delhi?
The first thing to clarify here is that rather than choosing the best laser surgery, it is more important to choose the appropriate laser eye surgery. This is a decision that is possible only after proper consultation with a well-experienced eye doctor. There are a couple of factors that the doctor takes into consideration while recommending the most suitable laser eye surgery to the patient. Some of these are discussed below-
- Current prescription of eyes
- The shape of the cornea
- Lifestyle the patient is leading
- Age of the patient
- Any underlying medical condition that the patient is suffering from that can affect the results as well as recovery of the procedure
- Whether the patient is in a habit of using contact lenses
The doctor asks several questions related to the family’s medical history, lifestyle, and general health in order to know the above information. The doctor measures the eyes precisely with several measurement tests such as examining corneal thickness, eye pressure, vision and prescription testing, and pupil dilation.
In addition to the above-mentioned factors, two of the most important factors that cannot be ignored include-
- Choosing the appropriate surgeon for the laser eye surgery
- Choosing the appropriate clinic for the laser eye surgery
How to Choose the Best Eye Surgeon in Delhi?
It may seem an easy task to accomplish but it’s not. Delhi is the medical hub of India which means there are numerous clinics and doctors where you can opt for the most advanced type of surgery. If the best doctor is unable to comprehend your needs, then going for a consultation is of no use. There are several eye specialists in Delhi who practice in super-specialty hospitals and clinics. So, how to decide which one is the right one? Here are some factors to keep in mind that can help.
- Check the doctor’s website thoroughly and lookup for his/her specialization. If you want to undergo Lasik surgery, it is wise to choose a doctor who has sufficient experience related to the same. It is common for eye surgeons in Delhi to complete 10,000 procedures within a short period of time.
- The next factor to consider is their experience as well as qualifications. You should also research the credentials online and know for yourself if the doctor is well qualified or not. Verify if they have experience or not in several websites.
- Read testimonials of past patients who previously got treated by the doctor. Look at their feedback, testimonials reviews related to the doctor’s treatment and behavior.
- It is important that the doctor lets you communicate the problems you are facing to the doctor properly. Make sure you are available to speak freely with the doctor about the problem you are suffering.
- The total expense is another major factor that comes into play when consultation is concerned. Try to find a doctor whose fees come within your budget.
How to Choose the Best Eye Clinic in Delhi?
Similar to finding the best surgeon, a larger part of the effectiveness of the procedure is largely dependent on the clinic from where you choose to undergo the procedure. Now that you know how to find the appropriate surgeon for yourself, here are a couple of tips that can help in finding the right clinic for yourself in Delhi. These are mentioned below-
- Type of laser eye surgery offered- Lookup for the type of laser surgery that is offered at their clinics. A well-reputed clinic relies on the latest and up-to-date technique. In various multi-specialty clinics in Delhi such as Pristyn Care, doctors offer the latest techniques to treat patients with blurry vision.
- Read the patient testimonials- The patient testimonials available online on several websites help to get an idea of the reputation of the clinic. Visit their websites and read the patient reviews thoroughly.
- Speak to the hospital staff- Book a consultation and meet them physically. Check their behavior when you explain to them your needs. Check the behavior of the support staff too when you meet them.
As technology evolves due to altering circumstances, more and more advancements are being made in the medical field. Laser eye surgery is no more restricted to particularly one technique. Currently, there are various types of laser surgeries that are available to common people that cure various types of eye problems. The doctor is the only individual who can make the decision on which technique suits best to the patient after considering several factors. Numerous clinics and super-specialty hospitals in Delhi are backed with the latest technology that can help in completing the procedure without any complications. Therefore, if you are looking to undergo laser treatment for eye problems, book an appointment with the nearest ophthalmologist today.