Acupressure For Sleep :- At some point in our lives, each and every one of us have suffered from sleep disorders and in adults sleep disorders are among the common issues. In most cases Sleep disorders are temporary in many of the cases, which are caused by stress or tension. However, things have been getting better with time. But, as chronic sleep disorder affects the quality of sleep and lack of restful sleep affects energy levels, emotional balance, and general health, it can interfere with daily life and health of an individual because also.
Night terrors and insomnia to sleep apnea, dyssomnia, and circadian rhythm sleep disorders are the various ranges among which the sleep disorder can be one. Due to this disturbing sleep, people feel it difficult to fall asleep or stay asleep in many of the cases. As long as you want to get some rest, depending on sleeping pills is agonizing. As the potent acupressure points for sleep tend to improve the quality of sleep by relieving stress, anxiety, fear, grief, and pain, in this case, Acupressure for sleeping disorders and reflexology are an effective alternative. In distributing the energy evenly all along the body and also in relaxing the body, the Acupressure for sleep therapy can be seen effective. Also, acupressure for sleep babies is available.
Types of Sleep Disorders
Several different factors are known to cause trouble in falling asleep and trouble to stay asleep throughout the night. Among these factors, some commonly known sleep disorders are as follows:
- Insomnia– This condition is characterized by the presence of difficulty in falling asleep or staying asleep.
- Central Sleep Apnea– Due to the improper functioning of the brain, breathing during sleep is disturbed.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea– The partial or complete blockage of the upper airway during sleep is the major cause of this condition.
- Parasomnias– This is a disruptive sleep disorder that is caused during arousal from REM sleep and is characterized by nightmares, night terrors, sleeping walking, etc.
- Nightmares– Because of a disturbing nightmare, an individual wakes up terrified suddenly from sleep in this situation.
- Narcolepsy– This is a neurological disorder that disrupts the control of sleep and wakefulness.
- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder– In this disorder, the circadian rhythm or the internal body clock is disrupted.
- Snoring– This problem of Snoring also affects our own sleep while disrupting the quality of sleep of our partner also.
Symptoms of Sleep Disorders
There are various types of sleep disorders. Some of the recognizable sleep disorder symptoms are as follows:
- Feeling irritable and sleepy during the day
- While watching television or reading a book you might find difficulty in staying awake.
- While driving you might fall asleep.
- Problems related to memory
- Reaction and Response might get slower
- Emotional outbursts might occur, which are sudden
- You will look like you are tired
- Concentrating at work or school becomes difficult
- Staying awake with the support of caffeinated beverages
How to put someone to sleep instantly?
Searching for the ways to fall asleep instantly? Then you might have heard of sleeping pills. Also, you might have heard of their side effects. But don’t worry acupressure is an alternative for that. By the below-given techniques, you may put someone to sleep instantly. Ear acupressure for sleep is one among the other parts acupressure as given above. One more type is foot acupressure for sleep. Wrist acupressure point for sleep is also one of the above parts mentioned. By pressing on the pressure point for a quick sleep, one might fall asleep very soon. Acupressure for toddler sleep is similar therapy used for the toddlers to fell asleep.
Acupressure improves the sleep quality of psychogeriatric inpatients who find it difficult to fell asleep. Acupressure massage for sleep is also effective in making someone fall asleep. Acupressure on sleep quality in hemodialysis patients is necessary as they find it difficult to sleep. Acupressure points for avoiding sleep are also available which can be used to stay healthy. Acupressure points for disturbed sleep are those used to avoid the disturbances in sleep at night. Acupressure points for excessive sleep are those which are used to gain more sleep than normal to relieve the stress or pain. Acupressure for baby to sleep might be necessary if the baby isn’t falling asleep normally. Acupressure for lack of sleep is needed when one has been taking no rest for a long time.
10 Useful Acupressure Points to Promote Restful Sleep
Sleeping disorders can be created by Chronic stress, anxiety, and tension. Insomnia can be treated and sleep can be improved by these 10 soothing acupressure points.
One among the many important acupressure for apnea and acupuncture pressure points available to treat the sleeping disorders and promote restful sleep is the point B38 or Vital Diaphragm. This point is located in the back at the heart level, between the shoulder baled and the spine. Emotions of stress, anxiety, grief, and fear which hinder sleep are balanced by the stimulation of this point which is who this has been known as one of the widely used acupressure points for insomnia.
It also helps in treating coughing, respiratory problems, and breathing difficulties. Two tennis balls have to be placed side by side on the floor. Then you have to lie down on these balls such that they get placed between your shoulder blades. Then you have to breathe deeply for one minute by closing your eyes.
A well-known point of treating nausea and vomiting is the Acupressure point P6 or Pericardium 6. The Inner Gate point is another name for this point and is located in the central point of the inner side of the forearm and two and a half finger widths from the wrist crease. Among many effective acupressure points for sleep that relieves insomnia and reduces anxiety, indigestion, and palpitations which are some of the common problems that hinder sleep, this is also one.
In the treatment of chest congestion, cardiac pain, depression, dizziness, asthma, cough, irritability, and malaria also, this point is beneficial. In order to stimulate this point, you have to place the right thumb on the inner side of the left wrist and then press the point firmly for about one minute. Then you have to press the point on the other hand.
For sleep disorders treatment, H7 or Heart 7 is also used commonly in acupressure for sleepiness. The Spirit Gate is another name of this point and this point is located at the inner side of the wrist crease and in line with the little finger. Insomnia caused by overexcitement, emotional issues, anxiety, and cold sweat can be relieved by the stimulation of this point. It also relieves cardiac pain, palpitations, chest pain, epilepsy, and irritability. Acupressure points for sleep are very effective.
This point can be activated by placing the thumb of the right hand on the wrist crease of the left hand and pressing the hollow in the crease for one minute and then switching sides.
B10 or Urinary Bladder10 is a famous acupressure point for treating headache, neck pain and dizziness. The location of this point is on the back of the neck and one-half inch below the base of the skull, on the muscles located over the outer side of the spine. For sleep that relieves insomnia, stress, and exhaustion that also aids in relaxing and clearing the head and bringing thoughts to rest, this point is also one among the significant acupressure and acupuncture points. For the treatment of shoulder pain, back pain, nasal congestion, sore throat, and skin problems also, this point is useful. In order to stimulate this point, you need to curve your fingers and place your fingertips on the thick muscles over the back of your neck. Then you have to apply firm pressure on the muscles for a minute while you breathe deeply.
Yet another vital pressure point used in the treatment of sleep disorders is Acupressure point GV16 or Governing Vessel 16. Wind Mansion is another name for this point and this point can be found at the center of the back of the head, in a large hollow which is under the base of the skull. In relieving insomnia and sleeping a disorder that is caused by mental stress, palpitations, fear, fright, mania, and suicidal thoughts, this point is helpful. In treating earache, headache, throat swelling, eye problems, nosebleeds, asthma, chest tightness, and spinal cord issues also, this point is beneficial. In order to stimulate this point to locate the hollow at the center of the base of your skull and place your middle fingers in this hollow. Press firmly into this hollow for about one minute while keeping your eyes closed and breathing deeply after tilting your head back.
A popular acupressure point for relieving migraine, headache, blurred vision, low energy, fatigue and symptoms of cold and flu is GB20 or Gall Bladder 20. The Gates of Consciousness is the other name of this point, and it is located just below the base of the skull, in the hollow between the two vertical neck muscles. Two to three inches apart depending on the side which the head is. In relieving insomnia and disturbed sleep, this point is beneficial.
In order to stimulate this point, the thumbs have to be used. You need to press your thumbs gradually and firmly below the base of your skull for about one minute while keeping your eyes closed after leaning your head backward. An even pulse on the points will be felt by you.
One of the best acupressure points for sleep apnea treatment that calms the mind clarifies ideas and stimulates restful sleep is the GV24.5 or Governing Vessel 24.5. The Third Eye Point is the other name of this point which is situated directly between the eyebrows, in the bend where the bridge of the nose meets the forehead. In relaxing the central nervous system and relieves anxiety, panic attacks, fear, depression, and insomnia, this point is effective. For headache, sinusitis, and nosebleeds, this is known to be the focal point.
In the treatment of dizziness, epilepsy, vertigo, and teeth and jaw pain also, this point helps. In combination with CV17 only, this point has to be stimulated. To do so, you have to place your right middle fingertip between your eyebrows and place the fingertips of your left hand on CV17, which is situated in the indentations of the breastbone at the level of your heart. Apply pressure for about one minute and keep your eyes closed while breathing deeply.
For relieving sleeping disorders located in the center of the breast one, three thumb widths up from the base of the bone, a useful acupressure point is CV17 or Conception Vessel 17. The Sea of Tranquillity is the other name of this point, which is beneficial in relieving insomnia caused by anxiety, nervousness and chest congestion.
For the treatment of cough, asthma, palpitations, breast issues like insufficient lactation and mastitis also, this point is beneficial. In combination with GV24.5 only, this point has to be stimulated, as instructed in the previous point.
Another significant acupressure point which enhances restful sleep is K6 or Kidney 6. The Shining Sea is the other name for this point which is situated right on the inside of the ankle bone, in a slight depression. In relieving insomnia, hypertension, and anxiety, this point’s stimulation is beneficial.
For the treatment of digestive disorders, dry and sore throat, irregular menstruation, eye problems, and epilepsy also this point is useful. In combination with B62, only this point stimulation has to be done. Using your thumb, you have to hold the K6 point of one foot and B62 point of the other foot. Then you have to press the points for about one minute while breathing deeply.
An important point for treating sleeping disorders is the acupressure point B62 or Urinary Bladder 62. At the first indentation right under the outer anklebone, this point is situated. The Extending Vessel is another name of this point, which is extremely effective in treating insomnia. In the treatment of lower back pain, spinal problems, headache, stiff neck, nervousness, and epilepsy also, this point is beneficial. In combination with K6 only, this point must be stimulated, as mentioned in the previous point. With these 10 potent acupressure points for treating sleep disorders, you will be able to promote restful sleep naturally and by saying no to sleeping pills. Acupressure for sleep enhancement is the best natural effective therapy available these days. The pressure point for sleep on hand are those located over the hand among the above.
Insomnia could be a disorder that is very common and which will make it hard to sleep, hard to remain asleep, or cause you to get up too early and not be in a position to get back to sleep. Cognitive-behavioral therapy for insomnia, sometimes called CBT-I, is an effective treatment for chronic sleep problems and is usually recommended as the first line of treatment.
Cognitive activity mode of treatment for sleep disorder could be a structured program that helps you establish and replace thoughts and behaviors which cause or worsen sleep issues with habits that promote proper sleep. CBT-I helps you overcome the underlying causes of your sleep problems in a different way to that of sleeping pills.
To identify a way to best treat your sleep disorder, your sleep therapist may have you keep a detailed sleep diary for one to two weeks.
How does cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia work?
The psychological feature a part of CBT-I teaches you to acknowledge and alter beliefs that have an effect on your ability to sleep. This type of medical care will assist you to manage or eliminate negative thoughts and worries that keep you awake.
The behavioral part of CBT-I helps you develop good sleep habits and avoid behaviors that keep you away from sleeping well.
Depending on your necessity, your sleep therapist may recommend some of these CBT-I techniques:
- Stimulus control therapy- This technique helps take away factors that condition your mind to resist sleep. In some instances, you might be advised to set a consistent bedtime and wake time and avoid naps, use the bed only for sleep and sex. You will also be asked to leave the bedroom if you cannot attend sleep at intervals of twenty minutes, solely returning once you are sleepy-headed.
- Sleep restriction- Lying in bed once you are awake will become a habit that ends up in poor sleep. This treatment reduces the time you pay in bed, inflicting partial sleep deprivation, which causes you to additional tired consequent night. Once your sleep has improved, some time in bed is step by step inflated.
- Sleep hygiene- This technique of medical care involves dynamical basic fashion habits that influence sleep, like smoking or drinking an excessive amount of alkaloid late within the day, drinking an excessive amount of alcohol, or not getting regular exercise. It additionally includes tips that assist you to sleep higher, such as ways to wind down an hour or two before bedtime.
- Sleep environment improvement- This offers ways in which you’ll be able to produce a snug sleep atmosphere, for example, keeping your sleeping room quiet, dark and cool, avoiding TV in the bedroom or hiding the clock from sight.
- Relaxation training- This technique helps you calm your mind and body. Approaches include meditation, imagery, muscle relaxation, and others.
- Remaining passively awake- Also known as inexplicable intention, this involves avoiding any effort to fall asleep. Paradoxically, worrying that you can’t sleep can actually keep you awake. Letting go of this worry will assist you to relax and make it easier to sleep off.
- Biofeedback- This technique permits you to look at biological signs like pulse and muscle tension and shows you ways to regulate them. Your sleep specialist might have you ever take a training program device home to record your daily patterns. This data will facilitate establish patterns that have an effect on sleep. The most effective treatment approach might mix many of those strategies.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy vs pills
Sleep medications will be an efficient short-run treatment. For instance, they will offer immediate relief throughout an amount of high stress or grief. Some newer sleeping medications are approved for extended use. But they’ll not be the simplest long sleep disorder treatment.
Cognitive activity medical care for sleep disorder could also be a decent treatment alternative if you have got long sleep issues, you are disturbed concerning turning into enthusiastic about sleep medications, or if medications are not effective or cause bothersome side effects.
Unlike pills, CBT-I addresses the underlying causes of sleep disorder instead of simply relieving symptoms. But it takes time and effort to make it work. In some cases, a mixture of sleep medication and CBT-I could also be the simplest approach.
Insomnia and other disorders
Insomnia is linked to a number of physical and mental health disorders. Ongoing lack of sleep increases your risk of health conditions such as high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, and chronic pain. Some medications, as well as over-the-counter medications, also can contribute to insomnia.
If you have got a condition or medication that is coupled to a sleep disorder, confer with your doctor concerning however best to manage these together with sleep issues. Insomnia is unlikely to get better without treatment.
There are a limited number of certified Behavioural Sleep Medicine specialists, and you may not live near a practitioner. You may have to be compelled to do some looking to search out a trained professional person and a treatment schedule and kind that suit your wants. Here are some places to look:
- The American Academy of Sleep Medicine website allows you to search for a certified sleep center, such as Mayo Clinic Centre for Sleep Medicine.
- The Society of Behavioural Sleep Medicine website offers a directory for finding a behavioral sleep medicine provider.
The type of treatment and frequency of sessions can vary. You would like as few as two sessions or as several as eight or additional sessions, depending on your sleep expert, the program and your progress. When vocation to line up a rendezvous, ask the practitioner about his or her approach and what to expect. Also, check the previous time whether or not your insurance can cowl the kind of treatment you would like. If out there in your space, meet with a sleep medicine specialist in person for your sessions. However, phone consultation, CDs, books or websites on CBT techniques and sleep disorder additionally could also be helpful.